Doge Palace

Doge Palace
Che Bella

The Beautiful Package

The Beautiful Package
Where's my Baba?

Genovese Pasteries

Genovese Pasteries
Little Explosions of Delight!

Musings on Tea and Travel

Welcome to my thoughts as I travel and taste tea.



Friday, April 9, 2010

If I Cook will They Come?

After three days of no sales, no diners and just a few browsers, I decided to cook my brains out. I got up early, bought all of my favorite ingredients for crepes, soup and salad. Yes, honey baked ham, broccoli, organic eggs, beets, horseradish, salmon, cream cheese and the list goes on.

I arrived in the tea room, donned my favorite apron, made a new sign with a tulip border for my menu and set it out for all to see. I began by reducing my vinegar and butter for my Hollandaise. I turned on the classical station, and warmed up the grill for crepes. Ding, Ding, Ding a customer enters and asks what our tea sandwiches will be. I go through the menu of tea sandwiches, my soups and salads and she promises to return when her guest from Kansas City come in on the train. Hmm, is it working?

I return to my crepe batter. Ding, ding, ding. My friend, Ali, comes in and joins me for coffee. I decide it's early enough that I can afford to sit and chat for a minute with Ali. Ding, ding, ding. Eight charming ladies come in for a full crepe lunch. Ali and I jump up and start to work taking their tea orders. They all choose my special Winterberry Chai blend. I run through the menu with them and return to the kitchen to cook. They love the tea. I get out their soups and wonder if I can pull off making so many crepes without much preparation. Ali entertains them and even gets invited to be a guest speaker at their church.

So, I proceed to beat my batter, cook my Hollandaise and garnish my plates. Ding, Ding, Ding. It's my waiter, Noah. Yes! I am saved. Ding, Ding, Ding. Yes, the train from Kansas City is in and we have six more for lunch. Ding, Ding, Ding. It's my mummy, who jumps to work making everyone welcome and arranging tables. I continue to focus on my crepes and make more soup.

I cook, yes, I cook and they came. Ding, Ding, Ding. Another day in the magic tea room.

No comments:

Post a Comment