Doge Palace

Doge Palace
Che Bella

The Beautiful Package

The Beautiful Package
Where's my Baba?

Genovese Pasteries

Genovese Pasteries
Little Explosions of Delight!

Musings on Tea and Travel

Welcome to my thoughts as I travel and taste tea.



Friday, April 16, 2010

Tea in the Palace Garden at Isola Bella

It took me 27 years to get to Isola Bella from the time I first learned of it. It was well worth the wait! This is the destination of a life-time. One must take the vaparetto from Baveno, Italy on Lake Maggiore to the island. It is a palace and gardens built by the Borromeo family. Everything is just how I'd want it if I could live there. Completely ready to move in for me and about twenty guests.

Speaking of guest, Napoleon and Josephine visited here and Anna Pavlova was also a guest. The palace also hosted a pre-WWII conference attended by Mussolini and representatives from Great Britain to avoid the war. Unfortunately, this was not successful. In my oppinion, they should have all just stayed on the island, had another cup of tea in the garden and rethought the whole thing.

After touring the palace and garden, we had tea in a most charming garden on the water, just behind the grotto. The garden is full of the most enchanting white peacocks that are happy to pose for shots and do a little ballet. The tea was wonderful and the lemon and pine nut tort was absolutely not to be missed.

It may have taken me over half my lifetime to get here but it was the destination of a lifetime. We are on our way to Venice next. Please enjoy the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment